Both the ruling and opposition parties have announced candidates for the post of Vice President. The NDA has nominated West Bengal Governor Jagdeep Dhankhar as its candidate, while the opposition has announced the name of Congress leader Margaret Alva. This announcement has been made after NCP party chief Sharad Pawar’s opposition meeting. Since the announcement of his name, the discussion about his name started everywhere. Today we will tell you about 5 facts related to her.
- Born in Mangaluru, Karnataka, 80-year-old Margaret Alva has been the governor of Goa, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand. Alva has served as the 17th Governor of Goa, 23rd of Gujarat, 20th of Rajasthan and 4th Governor of Uttarakhand. She is also known as the first woman governor of Uttarakhand.
- Like Jagdeep Dhankhar, Alva started her career as a lawyer before joining active politics. She married Niranjan Alva in 1964, with whom she has a daughter and three sons. She is an accomplished speaker and has participated in many student movements.
- Margaret Alva became an MP for the first time in 1974 on a Congress ticket. Alva has been a minister of state for many important matters in the central government four times.
- Margaret Alva has been a Member of Parliament for a total of five times including Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha. She became a Rajya Sabha MP in 1974, 1980, 1986 and 1992. After this, Margaret Alva became a Lok Sabha MP from Uttara Kannada constituency in 1999.
- She has played an important role in preparing and passing policies related to women empowerment during the Congress regime.
Let us tell you that Margaret Alva has resigned from the Congress and has become the joint candidate of the opposition as an independent. Elections for the post of Vice President will be held on August 6 while July 19 is the last date for filing nominations.